Kyocera to Build New Facility in Shiga, Japan to Produce Automated Equipment for “Smart Factory”
The facility will develop company’s own production equipment to strengthen its use of robotics and AI technology
08 April 2019
Kyoto/London - Kyocera announced that it has started construction of a new facility on the premises of its Yasu manufacturing complex in Shiga Prefecture, Japan. The facility will develop and produce Kyocera’s own proprietary automated production equipment, enabling the company to strengthen its use of robotics and artificial intelligence (AI) in manufacturing. The company held a groundbreaking ceremony on April 3 at the site.
"We are excited to welcome the new production facility here, in Shiga, which will contribute our company’s factory automation. By reforming production processes, we aim to double productivity," said Yoshinobu Ozaki, Manager of the Shiga Yasu Plant.
The recent domestic labor shortage is gradually impeding the growth of the Japanese economy. According to Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, the population of Japanese workers age 15 to 64 totaled approximately 76 million in 2017 — and is expected to decrease to around 60 million by 2040. Other developed nations facing similar conditions, this population decline has become a global issue. To overcome this rapid labor shortage, Kyocera has encouraged its production sites to adopt cutting-edge technologies, including AI and robotics, which can double productivity. Further, the company aims to achieve higher growth and profitability by reducing costs while reforming its production processes.
As part of a comprehensive action plan toward doubling productivity, Kyocera will consolidate partial operations from two different sites, ― a research and development site currently located in Daito, Osaka and a manufacturing site in Yohkaichi, Shiga, ― with its manufacturing site in Yasu, Shiga, which produces equipment for the company’s own factories and offices. By moving these sites to the Yasu Plant and doubling space for development and manufacturing, Kyocera will establish a high-speed development process.
Details of the New Facility
Kyocera Corporation Shiga Yasu Plant (29th facility on the premises)
800 Ichimiyake, Yasu, Shiga 520-2362 Japan
Approximately 5 billion yen (approx. 45 million dollars)
3,849 m² steel construction with 4 stories
Total floor space
Construction begins: April 2019; Operation starts: April 2020
Development and production of proprietary manufacturing equipment
Contact for more information:
Mr. Kenichi Hara
- Kyocera Targets 30 % Greenhouse Gas Reduction by 2030, Recognized by Science Based Targets Initiative
- Kyocera and BYD Japan to Collaborate on Integrated Energy System for Electric Vehicles
- Announcement of the 2019 Kyoto Prize Laureates
- Kyocera to Acquire Advanced Ceramic Business of Germany-based Friatec GmbH
- Kyocera to Acquire SouthernCarlson, Inc., a US-based Distributor of Fasteners, Tools, and Packaging
- Kyocera Display Europe GmbH becomes Kyocera Automotive and Industrial Solutions GmbH
- Approval of Kyocera’s Acquisition of the Ownership of H.C. Starck Ceramics GmbH complete
- Kyocera Document Solutions unveils a renewed brand identity – aligned with the iconic company’s vision for the years ahead
- Kyocera to Build New Facility in Shiga, Japan to Produce Automated Equipment for “Smart Factory”
- Kyocera is set to exhibit at Ceramics UK
- Kyocera set to present its innovations - cordierite and many other fine ceramic components - at this year’s Hannover Messe
- Kyocera and LO3 ENERGY to Demonstrate Blockchain-Managed Virtual Power Plant
- Kyocera Named Among Derwent Top 100 Global Innovators by Clarivate Analytics
- Important Safety Warning regarding Paper Feeder (PF-410).
- Important field information regarding A3 Mono Copier.
Manager Corporate Communications